List of Newport inns by CWS Dixon
Source: Transcribed from Shropshire Archives ref 6000/19424 in a brown envelope with other miscellaneous items. Undated. In ink and pencil. Collected by the Dixon family in an envelope dated 1931.
The list is written with dip pen (not fountain pen) and some items are in pencil. There are manuscript notes next to some of the inns: sometimes it notes the current house or shop owner if the inn has closed down; sometimes we are told the previous names for the inn, and sometimes we are told where the inn is.
It has been difficult to definitely identify the title “Mr” from “Mrs”, and in such cases I have transcribed the title as Mr / Mrs.
This list has been transcribed by L Fletcher 2014
Shropshire Archives ref 6000/19424. LIST OF INNS
1 The list is of past and present inns. It is ordered south/north (apart from a small section at the end), and it runs from Station Road at the south end of town (east side), northwards to Upper Bar, High Street, St Mary Street, Lower Bar and Chetwynd End, and then turns southwards and down the western side to Upper Bar. There are miscellaneous inns at the end, which must have been afterthoughts.
2 Note that Station Road and Upper Bar are all called ‘Station Road’.
3. The notes attached to some of the inn names are varied: sometimes the current house or shop owner are noted or when the inn has closed down; sometimes old names for the inn are given, and elsewhere we are told where the inn is located.
4 The list can be dated as a result of the various names on the list. I shall not present you with all the evidence for the date of 1877-1880, but here are the crucial pieces of information:
a. On the 1881 census Edwin Wilder, Richard Edleston and Eleana Cooke are all living next to each other. The list shows them all inhabiting what was once the Fighting Cocks Inn at Chetwynd End. They were not living next to each other on the 1871 or the 1891 census; therefore, a date of around 1881 was the focus of the search.
b. In addition, most of the other names mentioned in the list are in the trade directories of 1877, 1880 and 1885.
c. Crucially, however, Eliza James only took over her husband’s coopering business (see “Horse & Jockey”) after her husband, Thomas Trevitt James died in 1877, so we can date the list to being later than 1877. Also, Thomas Austin died in 1880, and it then became Mrs Austin’s grocer’s shop (see “White Lion”). The list must date from between 1877-1880
5 A problem has been deciphering the ‘Mr’ and Mrs’ of the list. This has been checked again with Mrs Sue Cleaves who saw the original at S.A. She concluded that the three problem names (*Mrs James, Mrs Young, Mrs Wiggins) were all titled ‘Mrs’ correctly. However, although Mrs James did indeed take over the coopering business of Mr James, it seems likely that Mrs Wiggins ought to be Mr Wiggins and should be altered.
Below is the list with some footnotes regarding newly discovered dating evidence, and at the end a fuller table of dating evidence.
LIST OF INNS OF NEWPORT
Station Road Talbot Arms Miss Brookes House (addition in pencil)
Station Road Dog & Partridge. Mr Dunning’s house, now occupied by Mrs Barlow
“ “ Black Horse House now occupied by Mr Rees
“ “ Railway Tavern
“ “ Shakespeare
Upper Bar Pheasant
“ “ Dun Cow
“ “ Waggon & Horses = Bricklayers Arms = Plough. House occupied by Rowley and (name indecipherable)
“ “ . . . . . . . House occupied by Dr Baddeley
“ “ . . . . . . . House occupied by Mr Howle
High Street White Lion. Corner of Bellman’s Yard. Mr/Mrs Austin shop
“ “ Star
“ “ Unicorn. Converted into working Mens Club. Mr Kelly’s shop
“ “ Raven & Bell
“ “ . . . . . . . . House occupied by Mr Brittain
“ “ Barley Mow
Stafford Street New Inn
Tan Yard Smithfield Arms. License refused, too low rental
Canalside Summer House Bottom of Vineyard Road
St Mary Street White Horse Corner of Stafford Street. Pulled down when market hall created.
“ “ “ Fox & Grapes
Liquor Vaults, formerly The Grapes
“ “ “ Rose & Crown
“ “ “ Blue Boar – Shop now occupied by Mr Broomhall
“ “ “ George & Dragon
“ “ “ Bulls Head
“ “ “ Anchor opposite passage from St Mary St into High St
“ “ “ Horse & Jockey= Red Cow = Mr James cooper shop
“ “ “ Victoria = Union Hotel = Bear
High Street Three Fishes. Grocer’s shop next door to
“ “ Plume of Feathers
“ “ Swan
Water lane Wharf
Chetwynd End . . . . . . House occupied by Miss Tipper. Theatre at back
“ “ . . . . . . House occupied by Miss Catskill
“ “ Kings Head = Bakers Arms
“ “ Fighting Cocks. Where Mr Edleston , Miss Cooke and Mr Wilder live
Bridge Street Bridge Tavern = Cross Keys
“ “ Bird in hand Mrs Meakin’s House
“ “ Navigation. Converted into Working Mens club. Now occupied by Dr Thomson
Lower Bar White Bear = now The Rectory House
High Street Angel where the grammar school stands
“ “ Crown
“ “ Malt shovel. Where Mr Young & Mr Wiggins shop are – margin note – horsemarket
“ “ Royal Oak. Pulled down when church yard enlarged
“ “ Elephant. House occupied by RN Heane Esq
“ “ Pigfold. Pulled down to make New Street
Beaumaris Road Honeysuckle
High Street Red Lion and Royal Sussex Hotel. Mr Fieldhouse shop
“ “ Crown. Mr Gosnell shop & Mr Pooler’s office
“ “ Kings Arms
“ “ Old Bell
Station Road Nags Head. Corner of Aston Road opposite Shakespeare
“ “ Greyhound
 Rowley, blacksmith, in directories from 1863-1885
 32 Station Road. Mrs Barlow – ‘independent’ means (census 1881). Mr Dunning – clerk -in 1871. Building previously owned by J G Ward
 Unable to ascertain Mr or Mrs
 Working Men’s club till 1875, then Peter Kelly made it into a shop (M Miles)
 Mr Broomhal is in directories from 1863-1877
 John Trevitt James died 1877. Could possibly be Mrs James.
 Surname wrong. Probably should be ‘Lucy Emma Tipping’. Lived in Chetwynd End in 1881
 Surname is wrong. Should be ‘Miss Fanny L Catstree’ governess Rosemont school Died 1888.
 All lived next door to each other in 1881 census
 Dr Thomson only appears in Newport directory 1880
 Mr Pooler directory entry 1863. Died 1897
(Further notes in pencil – perhaps added by someone at a later date)
Situation unknown – Antelope in which Fire began 1665 which consumed Newport
National Provincial Bank
The Malt Shovel Stafford Street
Sutherland Arms Hotel
Mermaid pulled down – church yard
Britannia Corner of New Street
Bird in Hand Corner of Avenue Road
Rising Sun St Mary Street
St Mary St – Hand & Trumpet. Old stocks passage
Marsh lane by corner
Swan with two necks
[David Adams adds a further comment:
The list notes 65 pubs. According to old knowledge there were 68 pubs in Newport in 1829 but ‘not one fit enough for a gentleman to take his lady’ hence the formation of the ‘Union of Gentlemen’ to build the new Union Hotel, which after 1832 became the Royal Victoria, itself standing on the site of two former pubs.]