The Society’s Home Page
We meet at the Baptist Church on Water Lane on the 3rd Monday of each month at 7.30pm (except summer time).
We are an active society researching the heritage of Newport town and its surrounding villages.
- During the autumn, winter and spring months we invite speakers to talk on subjects of local history.
- We have an active section who field-walk, metal detect and occasionally dig. As a result we have a large collection of finds for research and display.
- We have a large archive available for members research.
- We have created a photo archive of more than 4000 images, the SNAP (Shropshire Newport Archive Photographs) project, hosted in the Discover Shropshire website.
- We publish a variety of books and leaflets which are available from local shops (eg Card & Play and Book Nook).
- We visit places of historical interest in the summer months (June to August).
- A leaflet with the programme of talks can always be found in Newport Library.